Today we loaded up on a matatu with our friends Rosalyn and Ann to head to a slum to begin a teenagers' Bible club. What we thought would be a 45 minute drive took 2 hours because traffic was so bad! We ended up having only 2 hours in the slum because of traffic. But, what little time time we did have in the slum today was amazing. The kids never fail to surprise me with how happy they are. The kids in Kenya are the most respectful kids I have ever met. When an adult enters a room they all stand up and say "Good Morning Teacher, Madam, Pastor, or Sir" and wait to be told to sit down. We introduced ourselves, Melissa did a small Bible story, and then kids entertained us! They kids did round-offs, flips, hand-stands, and showed off all kinds of talents. They recited Bible studies and sang songs for us. I was very surprised to hear a song that I have heard many times before, some of you may know it. The words go like this: "Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory! Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory! Rise! And! Shine! And give God the glory, glory! Children of the Lord!" When they started singing that song I looked at Melissa and said "You have got to kidding me! I hate this song!" My Momma always used to wake me and Mark up singing that song! It does not have positive emotions tied to it for me! I will say that it was much sweeter coming out of their mouths than it ever was coming out of my Momma's!
Melissa and I got a surprise this afternoon! We are heading up to Kitale tomorrow morning by shuttle with Greg and Bev Wootton. Kitale is in the Western Province of Kenya near the Uganda border. Greg and Bev teach Bible courses and they want to show us around their town. They are going to take us to an orphanage that also has a feeding center for kids in the slums. We will be with them until Thursday morning when we take another shuttle to meet the Tayloe's to go to Rift Valley for the weekend. A little family road trip! I told my Momma that I am going to be a Kenyan public transportation professional by the time we leave!
Please continue praying for us! The Lord has shown Himself in so many ways and I have you to thank!
No comments:
Post a Comment