Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm back!

I arrived safely and on time to the Gulfport airport Sunday night! I was happy to be greeted by my Momma, Daddy, Mark, Mrs. Diane, Whit, Amanda O'Bannon, and Caryn Hyatt. All of my luggage was even there! We were very excited to see that it was there seeing that my luggage caused problems everywhere I went. I have already gotten right back in the swing of things. I took care of important business yesterday! Went to see Mama Mia with the usual movie group (Mom, Mrs. Diane, Whit, Steph, and me), saw my Aunt Betty Carol (the most important), and got to see our favorite girl Kameron Lavender and the new baby Kylie! Don't tell Mr. Tim Burnett that's why we went to his house though, I told him I had to come see him! Haha!
Well I guess you probably want to hear about my last week in the Balkans. It was an interesting week to say the least! At the beginning of the week our air conditioner quit! It was SO hot in our apartment. It did make us feel as if we were really roughing it! :) We got to visit with all of our friends and then say good-bye, the hardest part of the summer. We had a taco night Tuesday night for three of our friends. They were so funny! Our American dinner was so different than what they are used to. When you eat at their homes, the plates are fixed for you, you never get asked if you like peas or not, and it is fixed FULL! When we sat down with all the food on the table, they were quite confused. We told them that they could fix their own plate and eat whatever they wanted and if they didn't like it, they didn't have to eat it! They thought the funniest part was the passing around of things, at first they just watched us fix our plates and then asked "Do I just ask someone to pass something I want?". I think everybody had a good time. We got to do some food distribution with our bosses' apprentices Wednesday. I think that was my favorite thing we did all summer. We brought sunflower oil, tea, flour, noodles, and milk to two different families. It was so neat to be a part of that. We delivered the groceries and then sat with the families to drink Turkish coffee and chai. It is always humbling to be invited into someones home who has so little, but is so proud of what they do have. Thursday was the big good-bye night for our closest friend. We got to go to her home to spend the evening. We ate sarma for supper (sarma is rice and beef wrapped in grape leaves). Eight hours later we said our good-byes. I think this friend was our most successful relationship of the summer. We got to talk to her the most about our Father and salvation. I don't think she will ever be able to be a good Muslim again, she knows too much about what we know is true and very real.
This summer was a very eye opening summer. He used several circumstances to teach me. I learned more about who He is and who I am. I will never be the same, there is no going back. I am so thankful for my relationship with Him, I don't know where I would be without Him.
Thank you so much for ALL of you who helped me get there and then those of you who helped me throughout the summer. Thank you again to my Aunt Patty and Uncle Chris who got me the plane ticket, and all of you who once again were willing to buy a gourmet apple, and then for those of you who wrote me cards for the summer. I am telling y'all, your cards got me through some days! I am blessed to have the family I have!
This is my last blog for the summer. I am moving on to a new chapter...called seminary! Please pray for me as I start next week in New Orleans. Thanks again!