Friday, May 30, 2008

So when was the last you were face to face with a lion?


Today was the field trip. The students were so well behaved! There were about 10 adults and 35 kids. Any time a signal was given the kids ran back to their spots in line and grabbed their partners' hand. The zoo was one of the neatest places I have ever been. The lions, jaguars, and tigers' cages were close enought to stick your hands in and touch them(nobody did though). We were also able to catch feeding time. The big cats were eating 1/2 sheep bodies while we stood watching. It got quite uncomfortable as we were close enough to hear the bones snapping and tearing...sorry for those of you with weak stomaches! :) We all jumped about 5 feet off the ground when the male lion, who was about 6 feet away, let out a roar. Thank goodness most of the kids had moved, because the ones still watching were a little scared!
It was so neat to be able to see and learn how this ministry operates from the inside. A school like this one is my dream ministry. The head teacher gets a list in August of the families in the surrounding community that are on their form of welfare. After home visits and some investigating, the pre-school class is formed. When the school year begins the 5-year old students are on the level of a 2 year old. When the students begin kindergarten the next fall they will be the top of the class!
I have a funny story for y'all...Katie (who is from Hartselle, AL) and I were sitting out on our balcony last night talking, just as we were getting into the conversation a gun was shot on the next street over. Let me give you some background, guns are shot INTO THE AIR for many reasons here. Celebration is the main reason guns are shot here, for weddings multiple guns are shot repeatedly. But when we heard the gun shot, all of that culture stuff went out of the window! Both of us "hit the deck" and crawled into our living room! As soon as we got into our living room we both erupted into laughter, as we realized what we had just done. Thank goodness we had no friends from the area over, because we looked like fools. Jessica, who was still awake, got quite a kick out of us dropping and crawling in the door! So if nothing else, it looks like I can amuse y'all this summer with our stories!
I wanted to go ahead and thank all of you that wrote cards for my Momma's project! They are the high-light of my day! I love reading them in the mornings! Especially those of you who like to add a little extra. When I opened Whitney Bryant's card this morning I was surprised to see an old picture of Me, Whit, Mark, and Marcus Hatcher, not looking so good might I add! Thank goodness we grew out of big bangs and overalls!!